SEDALIA MAN FOUND GUILTY BY SALINE COUNTY JURY

A Saline County jury reportedly took less than 30 minutes to convict a Sedalia man of multiple felonies on Friday, March 17, stemming from a shooting incident last year.

According to a release from Prosecuting Attorney Don Stouffer, the verdict came after a three-day trial for Vincent Barriere, who had been charged with a Class B Felony for First-Degree Assault, an Unclassified Felony for Armed Criminal Action, a Class C Felony for Unlawful Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon and a Class B Felony for Unlawful Use of a Firearm by Shooting at a Person from a Vehicle.

The charges arose after an incident on April 17, 2016, where shooting broke out in and near Maplewood Circle in Marshall. Barriere reportedly was a passenger in a car, driven by Marcus “Gater” Lewis, of Sedalia. Once spotting his target, Daniel “Solo Dolo” Wallace, of Marshall, Barriere reportedly got out of the vehicle and pointed a handgun at Wallace, who also reportedly pulled a handgun. They both shot at each other several times as Wallace fled on foot and Barriere chased him in the vehicle.

The release says nobody was hit by the array of bullets, and Marshall Police arrived on the scene about two minutes after being flooded with calls about the shots-fired incident.

The two shooters and the driver were quickly identified. Lewis was located and arrested at a motel in Sedalia without incident. However, Barriere fled, leading law enforcement on a vehicle chase where at one point speeds reportedly reached 115 miles per hour. The car eventually became partially disabled and Barriere was apprehended after a short foot chase.

Stouffer says in the release that under present parole guidelines for Assault in the First Degree, Barriere will be required to serve a minimum 85 percent of a sentence that is to be handed down by Presiding Judge Dennis Rolf during a sentencing hearing at 1:15 p.m. on Monday, April 24, 2017.

Online court documents state for his part in the incident, Wallace was sentenced to spend seven years in the Department of Corrections that started on October 11, 2016. And Lewis was sentenced to 15 years in the Department of Corrections on October 24, 2016. However, Lewis’ sentence was suspended, and he was placed on five years of supervised probation.